Monday, July 16, 2012

Going mobile


BRINGGG. That's the peal of a bell smacking out the second round. So it turns out that BodPod is not a misnomer. Although the journey was stressful, the rig moved on-road! Basically I trussed it up simply on the inside with 2x4s. After last post, most of the framing studs were cut but not nailed together. I found that if I set up a piece of OSB (read: nasty) plywood on my sawhorses, I could cut blocking pieces to allow me to frame solo.
Speed square, screws, 1/8" drillbit to predrill for nails which makes it easier, drill, bright nails, hammer.  Pieces of blocking can be moved around for leverage.

I used sheet metal screws to fasten the old aluminum skin and frame to the new frame. It cinched up with a satisfying pull. Each structural member had the rig tighter and less bouncy. Eventually I took a deep breath and lowered the hitch.. The wheels had submersed themselves in the earth and after they got out of their holes, it was alive. It is indeed possible to hold your breath for an hour. Stopping off in the hardware store parking lot for some lock nuts, I got (or rather the BodPod) a constant stream of stares and "some project"s. So thats good. It passes the funk test. I even got a notice from a golden years chap driving a nice expensive Super Duty. He asked Blair if she had built it. "Yes I did", I thought from inside.

 The day of moving was a tactical decision, as well. I think a Sunday morning was the best day. I only passed one demure law officer and no-one was in a rush to get to work. Still, I caught myself gripping the wheel too hard and holding my breath. It was such a test for an amateur builder, taking such a funkwagon on the road.

There was one notable experience with vigilante justice. About a quarter of a way through the trip a rusty black Explorer whose license plate no. I won't share here flew by me doing 65 or so. The older bald man leaned his head and shoulder out the window, screaming "get off the road". While I wasn't going more than 5 under the speed limit, a long line of cars was forming behind me. I was frustrated and already worried about the towing job, why wouldn't he just let me be? Blair kept me reasonably calm by telling me to chill out. About 3 miles up the road he was there stopped in the middle of the road waving me to pass. Isn't this crazy? I thought. Why would I pass? I figured he was mocking me in a road rage. If he had a problem, he should just call the authorities, not try and take it into his own hands. Well of course I slowed way down not wanting to pass him, and he kept going. Not a mile later, he was stopped again, and this time he wouldn't budge. So I came to a halt too. The long line of cars passed and the road rager drove on. It occurred to me then that what I had mistaken for pissed off was a confused sort of benevolence. He may just have been trying to pilot car a whacked-out tow job down route 15.

And the destination, you ask? None other than Willow Crossing Farm. Great vibes and amazing people for this year's Permaculture design course. What an inspiring place to be working and designing.

Next Step:
At this point I am more or less satisfied with the structural elements of the trailer. While they need some adjustments, it rides, and I trust it to bear stresses. I think in retrospect, the best part of the design was the posts. Through the 2 point bolt-on connection system it is possible to adjust the position on many different axes. While this can be frustrating for getting the whole roof to sit level, it provides so much flexibility that the design in effect becomes modular. I could add a different roof by simply unscrewing the clamps and popping a new one one. I could even remove the roof and post structures altogether.

Still, the nose cone is not installed, which is the next step. I will probably do a mini-post about the construction of a round-frame wall and using a wire spool as a 'giant lazy susan' The plan is to have the whole front nose cone open up like a combination between beetle wings and an observatory. Can't wait to show this graphically, but it will have to wait until I get my own computer.




1 comment:

  1. It was moving to be part of the lift-off to new heights. There she goes!
    Looking forward to some post-mobile work @ Willow Crossing.
    D.

    ReplyDelete

Please, share your thoughts!