Wednesday, June 27, 2012

re: Definition

Soundtrack: Play while reading!

A frenzy of activity this week. I'm relocating soon, and I've decided to put the new roof on before I do. This is going to involve a bit of structural tweaking. So big changes both to the rig itself and to the nature of the project. I want to engage the community in this project and so I'm looking for a way to involve others in the process. There is a message that I am campaigning for here: a comfortable and beautiful space can come in many forms, and is accessible to those who seek it. Obviously I identify completely with the tiny house movement in that living in small spaces is a way to simplify life and live debt free. This is why I have been making such big changes to this trailer instead of 'fixing it up'.

This project is about redefining campers. But Forrest, you might be saying, if you're going to start fresh, it could be anything on wheels. Which is true. Maybe what I should do is list what defines campers to me and talk about what I can change about it. I'll present some conceptions and then counter with my own transconception. I'm making this word up. the prefix trans- means across, beyond or into a different state. I don't really want to respond in the negative to all conceptions of trailers and campers but rather pass through them and mutate them. After all, the reason I bought this moneypit in the first place was that the idea is already a good one. 

*(Also I keep throwing around the words camper, trailer, etc. and there seems to be a distinction in the market. What I believe I have is a travel trailer, but it could also be known as a camper.)

Conception 1: Campers are shoeboxes. They are rectilinear and shorter than they are long. To me this is quite boring and a simplistic design choice. Especially since a flat roof has other problems that we'll dissect later. One exception is the Airstream, which is obviously an iconic American design. Coincidentally, Hawley Bowlus who designed the Airstream also designed the Spirit of St. Louis, the craft that took Charles Lindberg across the Atlantic. But the Airstreams didn't become an icon by trying their hardest to play dead and be boxes. 

Transconception:  Mutation is an absolute in the evolutionary process. A major mutation involves a change of form. Change the form and the whole starts to change.

Conception 2: Campers are for vacations. They have all the comforts of home but not in an authentic way. It's okay for your vacation shack to be plasticked over and laminated and veneered because you don't live there full time. They have what you need for dwelling but don't harbor authenticity for long. They have plenty of drawers and cupboards for things but what things do you need in the vacation life?

Transconception: Elegant habitation usually involves stripping things away to allow for the craft of the space to shine. Like Le Corbusier said "Space light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep" I want to create clean lines and well defined spaces rather than a clutter of generic 'storage'. I'll also bring light in intentional ways. 


Conception 3: Campers let you go into nature and keep nature out. 


Transconception: I've realized the potency of the camper concept while living in Westford. Essentially you have a platform and shelter and are sitting lightly on a piece of land. It is a different way to live surrounded by  nature. I want to create the biophilic camper which invites nature in and is filled with growing plants, moving water, and glowing light. Don't expect me to get rid of the screens and let the mosquitoes in, however. I understand the value of living with living things we find pleasurable. Still, I think that the space can be alive and working and almost breathing. 


Since I have to go materials hunting, I'll leave these three for now. This feels like a good way to re-define the project so I'll be back with more. 


Roof goes on tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts!